Friday, October 24, 2008

Opening a Bank Account in Ecuador: Day 5

It only took five days, but I am now the proud owner of a bank account in Ecuador. Woohoo! And it's Friday. Double good news. We went back to the bank early this morning and went right to the desk with the same woman behind it. She looked over the new letter from the university and was happy with it. She handed over the bank card and that was that. So now I have $5 in a bank in Ecuador. Very cool stuff.

And speaking of banks and money, what is going on in the world market? I get breaking news update emails from the New York Times, and lately the only headlines have been about the economies throughout the world. This morning I had three different emails breaking the news about the Dow Jones dropping, OPEC lowering oil production, and the European and Asian markets sliding drastically. It's hard to keep up with everything that happens back home. So does this mean the economies of every country are basically crashing all at the same time?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It takes 5 days to open a bank account in a country that uses the same currency as we do?! LOL Well, leave it to Ecuador. I told my mom your story and she wasn't surprised in the slightest. She misses her Quito days...

I am SO happy you are having a great time in Ecua! Ay, mi querido pais! On other news, you are very much missed States-side, but I'm glad to be able to follow your travels on here.

Un abrazo,

Mikee