Thursday, May 7, 2009

Back to the Grind

Today I went for a run for the first time since the race on Sunday. My muscles have finally recovered, and my sore throat is beginning to clear up. I didn't go for a long run, but still ran down to the park and ran three laps. I then ran back up the steps and back to my house. It was a pretty good run, all things told, and lasted longer than the majority of the runs I did before the race.

I'm still debating whether or not I want to try the 15k up in Quito, but I'm going to assume I am for the time being and try to train regardless. And even if I don't do it, at least I've been getting more exercise and running more. This week has been pretty laid back because I've only had one class each night at 7 p.m. Since the other class has ended, on Monday I just had a meeting at 5 o'clock and on Tuesday gave a final exam at 1 o'clock.

Yesterday I had to find a way to kill the entire day, so in the morning I went down to the bank and discovered that I was actually paid on time for April. Woo hoo! And, just to keep the good times rolling, they also paid the extra $100 dollars that they owed from all of the previous paychecks. With extra money and nothing to do, I picked up a few new DVDs. I've been burning through movies and television series lately because there's just been so little to do. I've been going through some money on this, but then again there isn't all that much that I buy here.

I also went down to the American-owned English bookstore and exchanged three books. Each book brought in knocks off $2 on a book you choose, and I quickly noticed a mid-sized book called "Survivor," by Chuck Palahniuk, the author of "Fight Club." "Fight Club" is one of my favorite book, and movies as well, and so it was a no brainer. The cost was $10, but with the three books, it was knocked down to $4.

I've already burned through 70 pages or so, and as usual, it's a dark and twisted story. But it's a good read, and I'm already pleased with the purchase. So for the next few days that will be my source of entertainment. Reading the new book, walking around town, and watching DVDs. It's a tough life sometimes.

No comments: