Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Why So Sleepy?


I don't exactly know why, but lately I've been extremely tired. I don't think it's because of the weather--that never changes. And the work schedule has been about the same, except for the fact that I now spend more time on campus and take a Spanish class. But even that shouldn't account for waking up feeling exhausted. Throughout the entire day I just feel like I'm dragging.

The worst part is that I eat my lunch and then head to work for my 1 o'clock class. But after a big meal I just want to lay down and listen to music on my bed. So by the time my class starts I'm in no mood to be there and have no energy to teach. It's a struggle to get through the two hour class. The rest of the day can pass by easy enough because it's not too strenuous, and for some reason no matter how tired I am throughout the day, my night class always goes pretty well.

It might have to do with my students. They're fun to teach and be with, so I enjoy being there, even though I initially wasn't too crazy about teaching at night. I remember being told that night classes are always more fun, and it's true. There just seems to be a more laid back attitude. They even go by quicker. Maybe the prospect of the rest of the day ahead at 1 p.m. is a hassle, but by 6 p.m. there's only a couple of hours left until I can go home.

But I'm not sure how to get out of the funk. I drink coffee, and even though it's mostly Nescafe, which I'd rather not drink, it doesn't do it for me. I'm not sure how much energy drinks cost here, but I've never been a fan of them in the first place and don't feel like drinking 5 a day just to get by. But I do need to find some energy so that I can put more into my first class and get the students interested. If I'm feeling dead and the class can see that, they're not going to want to participate much either.

Next week I'll be heading to Santiago, Chile to visit my friends Adam and Zach, who are there teaching for a year. I'm going to be there for the Christmas and New Years holidays, heading back to Ecuador on January 2. It will be the first time I'm leaving Ecuador since I got here in August, and I'm excited to see another country in South America. Chile should be hot because it's summer, and more expensive on the whole. Currently, Santiago is one of, if not the most expensive cities in South America.

While I'm down there I'll do my best to update the blog with what I'm up to down there. My hope is to see Santiago but also get out to Valparaiso and some other spots. I just hope I'll have the energy to get by.

1 comment:

Sudi said...

Dude, Valpo is a college in Indiana. You're so silly.