Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Welcome, July

We're now in July, my last month in this country. It's kind of upsetting when I think that back home people are in shorts and t-shirts and hot, enjoying longer days. Meanwhile in Cuenca I'm still wearing pants and jackets and the sun sets at the same time, every day, like always. I look at the date and it just doesn't seem right, because there's no way it feels like it's autumn in July. But soon enough I'll be sweating in the August humidity of Boston and cursing the heat. It will be great no doubt, because three weeks later I'll be heading to Buenos Aires, where it will be winter all over again.

This upcoming weekend is going to be pretty big. First, my last class is on Friday, and though I still have two days to go, I basically finished the teaching part today. Tomorrow we'll be watching a movie and on Friday we're going out for pizza. Then on Friday night is a birthday party for a friend. And on Saturday we'll be celebrating the 4th of July, aka el dia de independencia de los estados unidos. A few of us Americans are planning on getting a grill and going to the park, eating and drinking a bit, and maybe even playing some Frisbee. We may be expats, but we're still patriotic. We are going to try to find some fireworks as well.

We wanted to get some American beer, but it's probably not going to happen. However, we can still drink Pilsener, which is pretty watered down and lousy. So, in a way, it's like drinking Bud Light. I've been feeling kind of sick for the last couple of days and had lost some hearing in my left ear, but it's back today and I feel much better, so as long as I stay healthy for the next few days, it should be a pretty fun weekend.

No comments: