Sunday, November 8, 2009

So So Salsa

On Friday night I went back to the salsa club Cuba Mia in San Telmo. This time I was meeting up with a couple of Colombians that I had met at a party a few weeks ago. I was definitely tired from the week, but excited nonetheless to dance. The boyfriend wasn't actually much of a dancer, but his girlfriend studied dance and was obviously very good. He actually asked me to dance with her for a while because he said I was better than him and he wanted her to be happy.

But this second experience in this salsa club was different than last weeks. Honestly, I didn't like it as much as before, and I'm not sure if I'll go back. First, it's too expensive. You pay $30 ARG to get in which includes a drink, which is standard club price in Buenos Aires. But if I'm paying that much for a salsa club, I only want to hear salsa, or maybe a few songs of merengue, bachata, or cumbia mixed in. But they kept mixing it up with reggaeton, which I do not like.

I guess I never noticed it before, but there's no way to be a very good salsa dancer and be humble out it. The dance just doesn't allow it. There are only two types of people who go to that club. Excellent dancers and people who don't know how to dance salsa at all. I'm pretty much the only middle ground. There's just something annoying about watching someone show off their moves. It's obviously the only place they would be able to show the talent, but I just don't want to sit and watch people do it.

So instead of impressing Argentinians who don't know how to dance, I faded into the background as Cubans, Venezuelans, and Colombians rocked the floor. Not that I need the attention though. It's actually a relief to just be there and not be questioned why. I might try to find another salsa club at some point, but as for Cuba Mia, I think I'm going to put it on hold for a while.

No comments: