Sunday, November 22, 2009

Touristing


Thursday was a good day. One of those days you wish could be repeated. The weather was beautiful and I spent the afternoon out of the office visiting a few locations with a client. I was going to El Zanjón, a system of ancient tunnels and facilities from the original settlement of Buenos Aires, so that I could write some information about it. These facilities were restored privately over 24 years, and now serve as a museum and function hall. After getting a private tour of the facilities, I tagged along to visit some other sites in Buenos Aires with the client, including El Viejo Almacen, the oldest tango club in the city, Circular Militar, and Museo Evita.

Getting out of the office was great and really gave me a better view on parts of the city I hadn't yet seen, allowing me to do my job better. Even with a lousy weekend (weather-wise) I kept up with the touristy things. On little sleep Saturday, I went with some friends to MALBA, or the Museo Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires, to get a little culture. The main draw was the Andy Warhol exhibit, which is on display there from October to February, showing his famous work, including the cans of soup.


It cost $15 pesos to get in, which we debated on the value of. Yet the Warhol exhibit was still worthwhile. The museum features art from all over Latin America, and even a few from else where. I had to write about the museum last week for work, so I was curious to finally see it. A light mist was falling outside, and it was the perfect place to be on such a day. If you are traveling through Buenos Aires from now through February, you should check out the exhibit. No pictures are allowed at the museum, which is the reason you won't see any from me.

Today I went back to El Zanjón to get a more comprehensive tour, as I was invited back by my guide (and new friend) Tami. After touring through the facilities again, we walked around San Telmo's street fair, seeing tango performances and a tango band perform modern songs. Though it's extremely touristy and I've only been there 2 or 3 times for that reason, it was interesting being there today. Again, the weather was weird and gray, but altogether pleasant. We wrapped up San Telmo with some good pizza at Sr. Telmo, then headed up north to Tami's neighborhood.

The neighborhood was very residential--green with trees everywhere, parks, and a few cafes, it was a place that no tourist will ever go. Some ambassadors live there, and mansions line the streets. We sat in the park as a drizzle started to fall, and it was hard to imagine that it was still Buenos Aires. I really need to get out of the center more often. I think that to date, that neighborhood was one of my favorite places in the city. But I'm sorry, I'm not going to say where it is. I'd prefer, selfishly, to keep it a secret so that it doesn't become clogged with tourists. Not that I'm so egotistical as to imagine that this blog holds any serious power, but sometimes there is a special corner that you just want to keep like a secret. This one stays with me, and maybe a few good friends.

No comments: