Sunday, March 1, 2009

Finally, Some Exercise

Today was a pretty good day. Aside from some slight annoyance at the bank this morning. I spent an hour in line because so many people were there and there were only three tellers. Once I got up to the counter to see if I'd finally been paid, I was told that I wasn't. Yet another professor who was at the bank had been paid. So now I'll have to go back on Monday and hope my money has come.

But after that I found a new DVD store that looks like a legit store from back home. I was looking for DVDs of "Flight of the Concords," and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," but they didn't have it so they ordered it and said they would be in next week. Instead, I bought season 7 of "South Park," which should keep me busy for the week. It was a bit more expensive than usual, but the quality seems much better.

After lunch, however, I went to play ultimate Frisbee in the park with my friend Jamie and some of her work colleagues. I've wanted to play Frisbee for a while but have never had anyone to play with, and I've actually had no one to play anyone with. As a result, I was very happy to get out and do something. It was a beautiful day for once with no rain, just a lot of sun and heat. So we met up in the park and I donned a t-shirt and shorts in Cuenca for one of the first times. I was wondering if being on the coast for a few days would affect my ability to run around, but it wound up fine.

We split up into teams and played to 11 and then had a half time. We ran around a lot, but I was feeling fine. It was nice to be getting some exercise besides just walking around and hiking. I used to go to the gym for 5 years back home, but all I've been doing in Cuenca is push ups and crunches in the morning, and not that many of them.

After a short break with some ice pops, we made new teams and played another game to 11. This time we were a bit more tired but still went out hard. It was nice meeting some new people, even though they were all gringos. But at least I know there's a group of people I can play some sports with now.

So it was a good day. I've edited down some pictures from the trip and will begin to add those to the blog tomorrow most likely. I might even change the front page picture to something more recent. I have a week to do some writing and editing, so check back in for more information.

No comments: