Thursday, October 22, 2009

Two Months In

Today marks two months since I arrived in Buenos Aires. When I got here it was winter, cold and gray. Coming in off the highway into La Boca, I was unimpressed and wondered what the big deal was. It reminded me of many other Latin American cities I'd seen previously. Well, a lot has happened since then. But goes without saying, so I'm not even going to bother getting into the many events.

It's spring now, and things are getting better every day. I'm better acquainted with this place and learning new things every day. Definitely busy, but trying to enjoy it at the same time. Two months seems to be a general point that people will point out along the "roller coaster of emotions" when living abroad. First you love it, then you hate it, then you love it again, etc. I've advanced beyond the stage of roller coasters or cheesy euphemisms to explain how I feel about living abroad, but I remember what it was like when studying in Spain or volunteering in Ecuador. Every experience is different.

This article appeared in the New York Times today, highlighting how Latin America is a cheaper destination to travel to these days. It's pretty much an obvious thing to state, but with the economy as it's been and Swine Flu scares, prices have dropped a lot down in these parts. Many of the places listed in this article are locations that my company deals with. Take a look on what was written.

No comments: