Sunday, March 7, 2010

This Is Why I'm Tired

Sunday morning, 7 am, and I was just getting home. It's happened before, though I try not to make a habit of it, especially on a Saturday night out. I want to go in to work refreshed on Monday, but this will throw off the whole week. To start on Saturday, I woke up tired from the night out on Friday, but went food shopping and then met up with Hannah, a friend of Vero's.

Hannah is from the U.S. and has been here 5 months, but is looking for an apartment and having trouble. Since I've had experience in this and can relate, I offered to help her out. But first, we had to get some food. I hadn't eaten any dinner or breakfast because I had no food in the house, so by lunch on Saturday I was starving. I proudly took her to the hole-in-the-wall Ecuadorian restaurant in Once, where I had to double take the door to make sure it was the right place.

As I opened the door to a full house watching soccer, every face in the restaurant gave the same look of "what are you doing here?" We sat down and when the waiter came over, to my delight she said they had ceviche. As I've written before, the ceviche from Ecuador is different from the kind in Peru. While both are great, a special spot in my heart goes to the Ecuadorian kind, and I hadn't had any since leaving in August.

The bowl seemed small but surprisingly filled me up well. It was great to have it, though it wasn't the best ceviche I've ever had. It almost had a miso soup taste to it. The aji (hot sauce) was incredible, and once again they let me take a little baggie home. So after leaving we spent the rest of the day trying to find apartments online and setting up appointments, etc.

My plans had been to go see the Boca Juniors game with my friend Javier, but he disappeared and left me with no one to go with. Hannah invited me to go out with an English friend of hers named Tom, who'd just arrived here. So we went out to Acabar on Honduras 5733, in Palermo. It was a very odd place, with antiques adorning the walls and different decorations and set ups all over. It had the feel of a Chucky Cheese's but for adults, and we actually heard the "Happy Birthday" song 4 or 5 times. Guests could go pick out board games and bring them to their tables, causing the place to be loud and boisterous.

Hannah left early on to wake up and look for apartments, but Tom and I hung around talking to people, eventually leaving and talking to more people in the street. By the time we finished getting some pizza at 6:45 am, the sun was shining brightly and I knew it was going to hurt in a few hours. So now my Sunday is essentially a scrub, though our plan is to meet and go to the park to veg out. But I have to say that so far the weekend has been good and making up for a lousy week.

No comments: